I have always loved moin-moin but not always loved how long it takes to make. Soaking, washing, peeling the beans can be a 2 day process and you don’t always have the time to do it. Check out my Youtube channel to watch the video of how to make this (search for Omnomlagos).
Luckily, living in Nigeria, it is something that can be purchased from a restaurant or bukka relatively cheaply and easily. However, if you live abroad, or for any reason you are here in Nigeria, but are in a position where you need some fast and simple moin-moin, consider this easy recipe which is done in 30 minutes. Shortcut moin-moin for the win!
Recipe and pictures below. You will see I have served the moin-moin with assorted meat stew and stir-fried ugwu, but you can serve it up any which way you like, however you enjoy your moin-moin. Other combinations I like to eat it with are chicken and a garden salad or efo riro and fried fish or just on its own.
1/2 cup bean flour
1 cup water
2 tbsp stew
2 tsp dry red pepper
2 tsp powdered crayfish
4 tsp oil
1/2 tsp salt
- Dump all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk until well combined
- Pour the mixture evenly in ramekins, or moin-moin tins, or even leaves (in this case, I used my new moin-moin wraps), This recipe will make 4 small portions or 2 large ones, depending on the size of container you choose.
- Steam the moin-moin on the cooker, in whatever containers you have chosen. These should be done in 30 minutes.
- Once done, allow to cool slightly before turning out of the container.
- Serve as you please. On this particular occasion, I chose to serve it with some assorted meat stew and stir-fried ugwu.
- It is ooooh so simple, and oh so yummy.